Teenager died when tapeworm eggs hatched in his brain after eating pork.

A teenage boy died when tapeworm eggs hatched in his BRAIN after he ate pork contaminated with poo. The unnamed 18-year-old began suffering violent seizures and died after the parasites began eating his brain. The patient presented himself to doctors at in Faridabad, India, suffering from swelling over his right eye and a swollen right testicle. His concerned parents told doctors that he had been suffering from tenderness in his groin for over a week. Doctors were horrified after scans at the ESIC Medical College and Hospital showed the parasites had spread to his brain, according to a case study in the New England Journal of Medicine. An MRI exam spotted damage caused by cysts in his cerebral cortex, which is the outer mantle of brain tissue, as well as the brain stem, including the cerebellum, which sits at the back of the head above the spinal cord. 
Doctors diagnosed him with Neurocysticercosis, a parasitic disease of the brain caused when someone swallows tapeworm eggs that have passed in the faeces of someone who has an intestinal tapeworm. The larvae crawl out of the eggs and into muscle and brain tissues, where they form cysts. The doctors also discovered cysts in the patient’s right eye and right testicle. Doctors prescribed the man steroids and antibiotics but he died from his condition two weeks later. Cysticercosis infections occur mostly in rural areas of developing countries where pigs are allowed to roam and where sanitation practices are poor, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Though these infections might be rare among people who live in countries where pigs do not have contact with human faeces, cysticercosis can be acquired anywhere in the world. Patients with cysticercosis cannot spread their disease to other people; it is only people with a tapeworm infection in the intestine who can spread the potentially life-threatening eggs when proper hygiene is lacking or ignored.