Teenager, 16, died from a hairball in her stomach after she chewed her own hair

A 16-year-old has tragically died after a hairball in her stomach became infected. Jasmine Beever, from Skegness, collapsed in college on 7 September and was sent home to rest. After coming out in "blotches", she was rushed to hospital in an ambulance where doctors fought to keep her alive. She was successfully resuscitated for 15 minutes, but then passed away later that evening. A post-mortem examination revealed that the hairball had caused peritonitis, an inflammation of tissue in the abdomen, according to Lincolnshire Live. She had a hairball in her stomach which became infected causing an ulcer. It burst and shut down her vital organs."Anyone that knew Jasmine knew what a wonderful, caring girl she was," pal Billie Jo Ashwell wrote on a tribute page."She had a real zest for life. There was never a gloomy face around Jaz because she would go out of her way to make you smile. Even people she didn't know."She would always offer a helping hand for anyone that was struggling or offer her shoulder and a hug to anyone that was having a bad day."Just days before her death, the year 12 student had attended the funeral of her grandfather. Jasmine had been sucking and chewing on her hair for many years - a sign of Rapunzel syndrome. Her best friend, Billy Jo Ashwell, has decided to raise money for her family, the JustGiving campaign has so far raised more than £3,000. Billy's mother Donna Marshall wrote on her Facebook page that Jasmine had been "sucking/chewing her hair for years.""Please Please PLEASEEEEEE!!!! Warn your children of the dangers of sucking their hair they can swallow it without knowing," she wrote."We really don't want anyone else to suffer this way."